Monday 12 August 2013

What kind of mum am I going to be?



This has been a question that has plagued me ever since I found out I was pregnant. 

I don’t consider myself to be on of the most ‘touchy feely’ people around, I don't do false praise, and for some reason when I pay somebody a genuine compliment, I think it sounds fake and forced (that last one may just be my paranoia though). 
 
I worry if this makes me come across as being ‘cold’ or ‘unfeeling’, this despite surprise reactions from those close to me and reassurances that it doesn’t.

But still, I can’t help but worry.  I think what also concerns me, is that I haven’t spent a lot of time around children.  My brother is very close in age to me, my younger cousins are a minimum of 10 years younger but I didn’t really see much of them growing up, and I’ve babysat all of twice…neither experience particularly pleasant.  

When out and about, I see mums that are overly stressed out, others that are very affectionate but possibly a bit overbearing and some that are so laid back you actually wonder whether they care about their kids at all?

I want to be a good mum, a caring mum, a fun mum. But I want to be a conscientious mum, one that does this right thing when it isn’t the easiest or most popular option.  I don’t want to be stressed out all the time; I don’t want to be one of those that lose their tempers over the slightest thing.  I just can’t help but think this isn’t going to come easy to me.

I wonder how many first time parents make grand plans during pregnancy about how their child will be raised, fed, educated, disciplined and actually stick to their plans...?

No comments:

Post a Comment