Tuesday 13 August 2013

This 'thing' I call a body



A little history…
OK, I have spent the best part of my life as a little chubby…to overweight…to very overweight…to morbidly obese. There are no excuses here, and it’s nobody else's fault but my own. 

In June 2012, with my weight at an all-time high of 17st 10lbs, I went to my doctor with upper abdominal pain.  I had lost my appetite, mainly due to the fact that every time I ate, my abdominal pain would disappear for about an hour but then come back with a vengeance.   I was also having chronic acid reflux with anything that I did actually eat or drink. 

After a few questions and examination, I was given a blood test and a referral for an ultrasound, with the news that my abdomen was inflamed.  A couple of weeks later, I went back to the doctor for my results. I had expected to be told that I gallstones.  What I was told was that my liver was fatty and very enlarged, my liver function results weren’t good and my cholesterol was high.  Despite not being much of a drinker over the past couple of years (wasn’t really a choice, but more than one bottle of lager would cause me to have extreme acid reflux), I was close to developing cirrhosis of the liver.

I put myself on a low fat, low cal diet and started to lose weight.  The physical look improvement was instantly noticeable; my abdomen was no longer as inflamed. About a month later, despite a weight loss of 15lbs, my abdomen became very painful and I was sent for another liver function test.  Somehow my ALT level had gotten doubly worse and my cholesterol had increased.  

I was taken off of the painkillers I had been prescribed, also taken off of the pill and referred to a Gastroenterologist. Given NHS referral waiting times, there was quite a delay between referral and appointment, so I continued my low fat, low cal diet and by the time I had been given a date for an endoscopy I had lost over 4 stone and my LF tests were returning to normal.  

Whilst being prepped for my endoscopy, I was asked by the nurse if there was any chance I could be pregnant.  I shrugged and said “I suppose there is a chance”.  My period was actually due the date of the procedure.  I was usually early but put its non-arrival down to my anxiety over being sedated for the procedure.  As a result of the endoscopy, I discovered that I have a Hiatus Hernia in addition to the liver problem.  

With everything that was going on, I completely forgot about my period.  About a month later and 5-stone off, I discovered I was pregnant…

The weight issue...
So prior to pregnancy, my body was already a mess. Despite my weight loss, superficially the damage has been done and can’t be repaired…I accept that.  I was however starting to gain a bit of confidence, enjoying being able to shop in regular shops instead of the plus size ones. 

Because of my liver and hernia, I have had to watch my diet and weight gain during the pregnancy.  At my midwife appointment two weeks ago I was told I had gained about 16-18lbs, which, for my pre-pregnancy weight, is about where I needed to be.  I was very pleased with that.  

I know this isn’t something I should be thinking about so close to this life-changing event occurring, but I am very concerned about whether the superficial ‘damage’ is now so much worse.  

I was, for the first time in my life, starting to feel more comfortable in my own skin.  I was no longer feeling like I was always the ugliest, fattest, dowdiest girl in the room.  I want to restart my weight loss regime as soon as it’s practical and safe to do so, because despite 5-stone coming off prior to pregnancy, there was still a long way to go for me. 

I want to be healthy for my son, to have the energy needed to keep up with him, and I don’t want to be the fat mum that embarrasses her son in front of his friends; I want to be a yummy mummy.  I was never a yummy non-mummy.

I have a little while to worry about that I know, but this is how my mind works.  And it just goes to show, I was obviously not gaining as much confidence as I thought…

No comments:

Post a Comment